Dr. Naz and the aesthetics team at Art of Lines MD are excited to offer Microneedling treatments to their patients in Vancouver, B.C. Microneedling is a quick, in-office procedure that is suitable for a wide variety of skin types and issues. Also known as “collagen induction therapy,” this versatile treatment stimulates the skin’s natural repair process by inducing collagen production and the regeneration of healthy, new skin tissue.
How you care for your skin after your microneedling treatment is arguably just as important as the procedure itself. It’s essential to the process to focus on promoting skin rejuvenation and preventing any unwanted side effects. In this article, we’ll review the recovery process after Microneedling and how you can help enhance its overall effectiveness.
What Is Microneedling and How Does it Work?
Microneedling is a process in which a licensed professional aesthetician uses a handheld device equipped with sterile, micro-fine needles that pass over the skin’s surface. The tiny wounds the device creates will stimulate inflammation, initiating skin renewal and collagen production.
At the end of your treatment and recovery process, new skin cells, which are softer, stronger, and light in color, will replace the damaged tissues. Additionally, the increased collagen production smoothes fine lines and coarse wrinkles with the new skin tissue, smoothing the surface of your skin. You will notice a dramatic improvement in the glow, vitality, and overall health of your complexion.
This process is also beneficial for any scar tissue left over from acne. The microneedling device breaks apart malformed collagen and stimulates skin remodeling. It can reduce the appearance of raised scars and fill in depressed ones.
In addition to skin rejuvenation and scar treatment, microneedling is also beneficial for the following skin conditions:
- Unwanted pigmentation
- Sun damage
- Skin laxity
- Enlarged pores
What To Expect From A Microneedling Procedure?
A microneedling treatment begins with your specialist cleansing your skin of oil, lotion, makeup, or other debris. Next, a numbing agent will be applied to your skin, taking about 20-30 minutes to set in. Once you’re comfortable and the skin is numb, your aesthetician will use the microneedling instrument by gently gliding it across the surface. The entire process usually requires about an hour.
Is Microneedling Uncomfortable?
Microneedling treatments are painless due to the local anesthetic applied at the start of your session. You may feel light pressure on the area, but it should not hurt or cause discomfort. Once the numbing agent wears off, you may feel some tenderness or tightness in the treated areas, which can last a few days. Most people find the discomfort tolerable and minimize it with Tylenol or cold compresses.
How Long Does it Take To Recover From Microneedling?
The recovery process for Microneedling treatments is minimal. Inflammation will be at its peak after 2-3 days, and this is when the skin is the most sensitive. Your aesthetician may advise you to avoid strenuous activities during the first few days after treatment, avoid excessive sun exposure, or layer harsh skincare products to help keep your skin calm and clean.
After about five to seven days, you may notice that your skin is starting to scab and become discolored. Do not worry; this is part of the healing process. Your body is producing collagen and healing superficial wounds. Do not pick or scratch, even though your skin may itch. Instead, keep your skin clean with a gentle cleanser and hydrated with a moisture-balancing, fragrance-free moisturizer recommended or approved by your aesthetician.
You should also avoid wearing makeup at this time, as it can encourage inflammation, dryness, and infection. A light-tinted moisturizer or mineral powder is generally accepted to help reduce redness, but avoid heavy foundations or concealers.
How Long Will It Take To See My Microneedling Results?
Every patient heals at their own rate. Results also depend on the severity of your skin concerns and your treatment. Most patients notice skin flaking and peeling starting around d 3 after their microneedling session.
After about 2-3 weeks, you will begin to see noticeable improvements to your skin’s overall tone and texture. The maximal effect can typically be seen after 3 months when collagen has fully formed. Choosing to undergo multiple microneedling treatments can have additive effects as your body produces more and more collagen.
How Many Microneedling Sessions Will I Need To See Maximal Results?
The number of microneedling sessions you will need to experience maximal results will depend on your skin condition, its severity, and your skin’s response to the treatment. Ideally, patients will undergo about 4 sessions spaced out 3-4 weeks apart. Results from microneedling treatments last for several months to years. Patients can receive a session every 3-6 months for maintenance, but others may only require it once or twice a year.
Due to the non-invasive nature of microneedling, most patients go through it without any issues, although some health or skin conditions can delay recovery. Dr. Naz will examine your medical history and the health of your skin to determine if this treatment is right for you. If, for any reason, it’s not a suitable option for you, she can recommend a suitable alternative to ensure your safety and success.
Things You Should Avoid After Microneedling
Limiting or restricting certain activities and exposure can help immensely in your after regimen. Some of these restrictions include:
- Sun Exposure: Healing or new skin is incredibly sensitive to the sun. It’s essential to your recovery to stay out of direct sunlight whenever possible or wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen of 30 or higher if needed outdoors.
- Certain Medications: Some medications and herbal substances contain blood thinners which can cause excessive bruising after your procedure. Be sure to mention any over-the-counter pain medications or supplements with your provider to ensure they are safe to take after microneedling.
- Contact with Irritating Skin Care Ingredients: The open wounds created by microneedling treatment can be pathways for chemicals, dirt, and debris that can cause sensitivity to the healing process and delay healing. Avoid harsh chemicals like retinoids, exfoliating acids, or chemicals such as Vitamin C, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and alpha- and beta-hydroxy acids.
- Picking, Scratching, or Itching: Avoid touching your skin as much as possible during the recovery. This includes dirty makeup brushes, masks, phones, towels, or your hands.
- Swimming in Pools, Oceans, or Lakes: Communal waters can be filled with irritants and microbes. Avoid getting your face wet when taking a dip in your favorite swimming spots.
- Smoking and Alcohol: Smoking can lead to infections in the skin due to nicotine causing restricted blood flow. Alcohol is notorious for causing inflammation in the skin, so it’s best to avoid it until you’re fully healed.
Things You Should Do After Microneedling Sessions
To help you achieve the best results after Microneedling, Dr. Naz may recommend the following practices:
- Stay Hydrated: Keeping your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water and applying hyaluronic acid serum on the treated skin, followed by a moisturizer, will help encourage your skin to heal and keep it from getting dry and itchy.
- Use A Gentle Cleanser: When cleansing your skin, use a gentle, skin-sensitive cleanser with as little pressure as possible to prevent trauma to your skin. You may resume your usual skincare routine after one week or until the inflammation has completely resolved.
- Eat a Healthy, Balanced Diet: Eating foods packed full of vitamins and nutrients can encourage healing and support your body’s immune system.
- Change Your Pillow Case: Give your skin a clean, sanitary place to rest with a fresh pillowcase every few days. If possible, try to sleep on your back with your face forward to help limit any pressure on your skin.
Start Your Microneedling Journey To Healthy Skin At Art of Lines MD!
Why hide your skin behind cosmetics when you can let the knowledgeable, caring team at Art of Lines MD and microneedling treatment bring out your complexion’s natural radiance and health? At Art of Lines MD, our renowned team of aestheticians and leading quality care and attention of Dr. Naz Baradaran, you can keep your skin looking gorgeous, even without makeup. Schedule your consultation today at our Vancouver clinic and get started today!